Thursday, April 16, 2009

What we have been up to

So once again I am feeling guilty for my lack of posting.  We have just been working away on school and work things.  Aaron is currently on his OBGYN rotation at the U.  Although I don't think it is really his calling in life (meaning he doesn't really love it), I think it has been a good experience for him to see babies being born and has made what I am going through and the fact we are going to be parents a little more real to him.  According to Aaron OB is the wettest thing he has ever seen due to all the bodily fluids.  I just have to laugh.  

I have just been working like mad to finish up a paper and most of the rest of another research project before my advisor leaves for almost a month in May.  It has been a little stressful but the more I get done now, the less I will be pressured after the baby is born.  

Other than the school/work thing, we moved into a new apartment in the same court as our old one.  We figured that after 4.5 years of marriage and with a baby on the way a little extra room may be nice.  Turns out we were right.  Although the extra room is nice, the best thing has to be the fact that our water actually gets above a luke warm temperature.  You don't realize how great a warm shower is until you don't really have one for 2.5 years.  We are pretty much just trying to prepare for our baby boy in August, which is more like procrastinating the preparation.  Every time I go into a store like BabiesRUs I feel so overwhelmed I practically get hives.  Wipe warmers, bouncers, swings, diapers, bottles, bedding, furniture, clothing... who knew something so small supposedly needs so many things.  If any of you have advice on what I actually do need please let me know.  Somehow I think our baby will survive if his butt gets cold because his baby wipes haven't been warmed.  Maybe I am wrong though.  

7 comments:

Tyler, Janna, Lily, and Niki said...

All they really need is your love. Really. They could care less about what they ware, how they are fed, what stroller is the 'most comfortable', or even what toys they do or don't have. All this "stuff" is to make your life as a parent easier. If you don't like it, don't get it. They end up playing with cardboard boxes and dishes anyways.

Ashley and Zane said...

I know, they have so much baby stuff! I had no idea what to get either. My list of must haves:

Sleepers that have the hand things you can pull over their hands so they don't scratch themselves

Boppy pillow

Bouncy seat

A good carseat

Bottle Warmer

A good breast pump

Plenty of burp cloths and blankets.

Those are just some of my favorite things I have. You could fill your house full with all the stuff they have! I did break down and get the wipe warmer. I felt bad putting the cold wipes on his little bum!!!

Melissa said...

Lindsey,

Your blog always makes me smile! I hear your overwhelmed-ness. I think I bought or was given about every product on the market, including not one, two, three, but FOUR strollers!!! Advice on that would be go for a swivel wheel jogging stroller that fits a carseat the first time... Oh yeah, and always check that the stroller fits in your trunk before you order it online. Our friends made that mistake.

The one purchase that I truly love and would recommend to anyone is the Kidco PeaPod. This is a superlight/small travel bed that we've LOVED for trips/camping and even just use around the house. We have a Pack'n'Play too, but lets be honest, that is really not meant to be packed anywhere.

That was a bit long winded, but hopefully it helps

Manndi said...

Aside from the carseat, bed, and stroller, most of the things in the baby stores are extras that may or may not fit your life or your baby. Like Janna said, if you don't like it, wouldn't use it, or don't have room for it, don't worry about it. If you discover you need it later, you can go get it then. I was glad we just borrowed a swing and bouncy seat because Zeke was not a fan of either.

Also wait to do your serious shopping for smaller items (clothes, toys, blankets...) until after you have your baby showers. We didn't have to buy clothes for 9 months, and we have enough blankets, soap, and lotion to last at least though the next one :)

Aaron said...

One other thing that I found that Manndi didn't happen to mention is to try the different brands of diapers. What they give you at the hospital may or may not fit the little bum that you bring into the world. A diaper that fits correctly sure saves a lot of clean-up and stress. :D

Jeni said...

You're so funny Lindsey. We had a good time in Utah with you two. Please apologize to Aaron again for my weird OB questions.

So all I know is there is no way in heck I'm buying a wipe warmer. If my kid is going to be a man one day, then a little cool wipe on his bum isn't going to hurt him. I don't want him to be a little whimp.

So who knows what to get, all I know is it's SO overwhelming. Let me know what works for you.

Cody and Lindz said...

Too funny. I agree with Ash as to her must haves. The only other thing I would add is a fold-up bathtub that fits in your kitchen sink, I absolutely love it and it folds up and fits nicely under the crib after its dry!

I will also let you in on some shopping info! Every September and February Old Navy has a HUGE infant and toddler sale, clearancing out their previous season and 40% off everything for the next season. I've saved TONS of $ at these sales! Just ask Cody ;)